Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Black - Ted Dekker

I can't say that I am a fan of "Christian" fiction. I think a work should stand on its own. What I mean is books and music should be enjoyed because they are good, not because they fall into a particular genre. With that said, I have to say I really enjoyed Ted Dekker's Black. This is the first book of a trilogy with the main character switching between two worlds. This may sound somewhat hokey, but Dekker makes it work. The story begins with Tom being chased by some questionable characters looking to collect on a debt, and he is injured in the process. As Tom goes unconscious, he wakes up in a different world altogether. Then for the rest of the book (and series) he switches back and forth between both worlds. It gets to the point where you don't really know which world is real or if they both are. The book is somewhat allegorical, but if you are the type of person who likes one to one connections between the characters and the people they are supposed to represent, you may be disappointed. I think Dekker does a great job using the medium to present familiar ideas in a new context, and thus make them fresh again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home